I’m astonished, really astonished. Why? Because so few people care.
About what, you ask? Brexit? Boris stepping down? Theresa May, and how she compares (or doesn’t) to Maggie? Football? Wimbledon?
No, something way more important than all of those things put together!
(What!!! You mean something could be more important than football coming home?)
Yup, more important than even that.
I’m talking about Safeguarding.
Wherever you look, everything you read, everything you see on television, you see / read / hear about safeguarding issues…….
• Systemised rapes and sexual abuse, mainly of young underage girls. Think Rochdale, Rotherham, Telford and other cities – where thousands of youngsters were abused over a decade, and perhaps still are being;
• child abuse – children being used as punch-bags, and some being starved and neglected.
• gangs, and horrific and the rising numbers of stabbings of children and youths on our streets;
• drugs and the use of children to carry them all across the country;
• radicalisation of our youngsters;
• slavery and trafficking;
So, please tell me why can’t I get people to care?
Not even enough to give up a day to attend a training course to learn about safeguarding issues, and how to spot warning signs of abuse, and what to do about it in the event they do. Or even how to protect themselves from accusations within the workplace.
Crazy, but true.
Do call me to discuss the above, book me to speak at a conference, or to train your staff.
And if you have any ideas of how to get people to care, please do tell me that too.